The Foundation was originally established as the Ciba-Geigy Science Promotion Foundation in September 1987.
The name was changed to the NOVARTIS Foundation (Japan) for the Promotion of Science in 1998, and in 2012 the Foundation was placed under Cabinet Office authorization as a public interest incorporated foundation.
The Foundation was established to contribute to Japanese academic development, and thus to improve public health and welfare, by providing grants to promote creative research and international exchange in the life sciences. In the 30 years since it was first established, the Foundation has provided grants for innovative research in areas including biology, bioscience, and related chemistry, and has also supported participation in international conferences and academic meetings where researchers can share their work. Even if this research does not lead directly to practical applications, it contributes to the body of new findings and theories that will open the door to future applications and developments, both in academic research and in industry. By using medicines (including unapproved drugs) for human, research that clarifies the effectiveness and/or safety of the medicines is out of scope in the grants.
With your support, we will continue encouraging Japanese research in order to build a brighter future for everyone.
The NOVARTIS Foundation (Japan) for the Promotion of Science supports creative research and research meeting in the life sciences and related areas of chemistry and information science.
Novartis Research Grants are to financially support innovative research in the fields of biology, bioscience, and related areas in chemistry and information science. By using medicines (including unapproved drugs) for human, research that clarifies the effectiveness and/or safety of the medicines is out of scope in the grants. Research Meeting Grants provide financial support for international research meetings held in Japan.
- Novartis Research Grants:
JPY 1 million/project (approximately 35 projects)
- Research Meeting Grants:
JPY 400,000/conference (approximately 5 conferences)
- 2019.02.2837 people and 5 people were decided, respectively, for the 32nd (FY 2018) Novartis research grants and research meeting grants at the Board of Trustees.
- 2018.12.20Candidates of the 32nd (FY 2018) Novartis research grants and research meeting grants were selected at a meeting of the Selection Committee.
- 2018.11.01Annual Report (2018) has been released.
- 2018.10.01Professor Tasuku Honjo who gave a memorial lecture at the 30th Anniversary Celebration of the Foundation in March this year has won the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology. Congratulations!
- 2018.08.30The memorial magazine for the 30th anniversary of the foundation has been issued.
- 2018.07.22Novartis Biocamp was held from July 20 to 22 being co-hosted with Novartis Pharma K.K..
- 2018.03.09The 30th Anniversary Ceremony was held at Tokyo International Forum.