The Foundation was originally established as the Ciba-Geigy Science Promotion Foundation in September 1987.
The name was changed to the NOVARTIS Foundation (Japan) for the Promotion of Science in 1998, and in 2012 the Foundation was placed under Cabinet Office authorization as a public interest incorporated foundation.
The Foundation was established to contribute to Japanese academic development, and thus to improve public health and welfare, by providing grants to promote creative research and international exchange in the life sciences. In the 29 years since it was first established, the Foundation has provided grants for innovative research in areas including biology, bioscience, and related chemistry, and has also supported participation in international conferences and academic meetings where researchers can share their work. Even if this research does not lead directly to practical applications, it contributes to the body of new findings and theories that will open the door to future applications and developments, both in academic research and in industry.
With your support, we will continue encouraging Japanese research in order to build a brighter future for everyone.
The NOVARTIS Foundation (Japan) for the Promotion of Science supports creative research and research meeting in the life sciences and related areas of chemistry and information science.
Novartis Research Grants are to financially support innovative research in the fields of biology, bioscience, and related areas in chemistry and information science. Research Meeting Grants provide financial support for international research meetings held in Japan.
- Novartis Research Grants:
JPY 1 million/project (approximately 35 projects)
- Research Meeting Grants:
JPY 400,000/conference (approximately 5 conferences)
- 2016.12.01On November 30, 2016, at the 39th Annual Meeting of the Molecular Biology Society of Japan, the Foundation, the Society, and Novartis Pharmaceuticals co-presented a luncheon seminar titled "Novel strategies to target human liver reconstitution".
- 2016.8.23Business report and settlement of account for FY 2015 have been published.
- 2016.7.25Biocamp co-sponsored with Novartis Pharmaceuticals in Japan, July 22-24, 2016.
- 2016.6.10List of the officers have been published.
- 2016.2.19Business plan and budget for FY 2016 have been published.